Monday, April 07, 2008

Ma' Daerah Turtle Sanctuary

Last minute decision...cancelled my 'wine appreciation workshop' on Sat, and accompany students for a week end beach clean up activity at Terengganu.

Never thought of driving, but after looking at the van, can only fit 10 students...so if me and Megan join in, that there goes the comfort!!

So Friday, about 4 hrs before the departure time, shoot an urgent note to Chin San that I will be driving, and she is 'invited' to join me. Luckily, she got permission from her boss/ ex boss to drive home to pack and come back just in time ...

I am lucky to have Megan as my co-driver, and Chin San to check on the road sign.
It was a smooth drive, with goody songs and fun, and the best part is...
we arrived before sun set, but my poor students in the van got lost on the way, and they arrived about one hr later...

We overshot the turning to the sanctuary as there was a construction of the road, and so the turning in junction was blocked. So there we went, coming to the Petronas and MOX plant area, which was so beautifully lit !! Called Encik Azeb twice to get the direction in.
OMG...you cannot believe it, its a road leading up a hill amidst the thick jungle,
and a turn into muddy, rocky, windy, narrow, hilly road.
Its a ride into thick jungle, with no lighting, so dark and scary....
I wonder if we were in the right place and where this road will lead us to
so following the instruction, we went...
My poor car...so sayang, have to go onto bumpy rocky rd...
Eventually we reached, and saw the mural painted by our students in previous years
ar ha....we are at the correct place.

We stayed in the long house, one room for the boys, one room for the girls, and one for the van driver. Its basic wooden house with five rooms on each side and a kitchen at the centre. there is a huge corridor outside the rooms. The toilet is about 6 meters away from the long house. The shower is ok (cold water, recycled from the sea) but some of the toilet flush is not working.

I am really impressed with the warm hospitality of Encik Halmie, our host!! He really tried his best to accomodate us, amidst his busy schedule. We were treated with seafood dinner with his 2 bosses on the first night...with sotong, tom yam, fishes, crab, vege and omellete.

The second day was the main day...the Gotong Royong / Family Day of his company, BP Petronas Acetyl. The turtle sanctuary is a conservation project of two companies (BP & BP Petronas Acetyl) with the Fishery Department of Malaysia. We are privilaged indeed as we were the only 'outsider'/ college being invited to participate in their activity, with free lodging and food provided...and the VIP treatment that we got...

So we were asigned to paint the long house....and we did...completed the outside before lunch...beyond Encik Halmie's expectation....then we went for Mc D....(the students loved the air cond and fast food..), went back again, rested and continued to paint the inner part of the building....Ms. Megan, omg.....I cannot believe my eyes...she actually climbed up the 3 meter ladder to paint the top part of the wall....@@ I also heard her hinting the students....'we are here to work, not to play...' Thanks Megan...for pushing and reminding the students when they misbehaved...

A stroll in the beach at the evening was really nice. I enjoyed the massage of my feet by the sand, i love seeing the mangrove trees...., the blue sea, the cool sea water...while my two friends were busy picking shells...I prefered rocks, so I picked some rocks, one of which is a white heart shaped rock!!

All in all, this trip is beneficial in a few ways:
1) I have put what i heard into practice : " human heart is more important than a thing" - I allowed my car to serve my purpose , than to protect it from wear and tear
2) I have learnt the importance of putting human first than anything else, like what Encik Halmie has done!! The effort, the sincerity in going all the way out to ensure our comfort during our stay...makes me reflect on how I can improve to treat the others....so a teacher indeed he is...
3) I can see how smart my student is....
4) I can see how sociable my students are
5) I can see how a team works better than by oneself
6) Trust the universe that it will show us the best way and receive it with open arm....

Finally, I wish that I have a chance to bring my students to more outing, which can enhance their growth, contribute to the society, and instill an understanding of the importance of conservation in them.

No comments: